Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDXVIX

I have some friends, a group of brothers, who grew up poor, but every one of them have have become very successful in the business world. How is it that all of them made it big? A coincidence? Possible, but not likely. Was something instilled into them at an early age that gave them the drive to make something of themselves? More than likely. I was well acquainted with their mother when she was still living, and though I don't know exactly what she did that produced such a crop of sons, as far as I'm concerned, she gets the credit. In other words, in my mind, her sons define her legacy. If you can forget for now what you thought about the policies of President Bill Clinton, when you think of his presidency, what is the first thing you think of? For most of you, it will be Monica Lewinski. Regardless of what he may have accomplished while in office, his legacy as President has to do with an extramarital affair, a fact that most likely brings him deep regret. Every one of us will leave a legacy, whether it be good or bad, and we're the ones who determine what it will be. I've often wondered what will be said at my funeral. Will the preacher struggle to find good words to say about my life? Will there even be a preacher who knows me well enough to know anything about me? Will he have to tiptoe around certain topics that he knows well are on the minds of the people in attendance? Will I have a list of accomplishments he can discuss? Will my relationship with God make it easier for him to deliver my eulogy? What will define my legacy? Will it be a lifetime of accomplishment or a moment of weakness? What will my friends and neighbors say about me when I'm gone? Those are questions I have to be working on now, whether I'm twenty-six or sixty-two. Will my legacy be defined by a moment or a lifetime? It's something I need to be thinking about, and if I see where some changes need to be made, I have to start working on them today. Once my epilogue is written, my legacy will be set in stone....whether I like it or not. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment