Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCXLIX

Considering the fact that I am now on the downhill side of sixty, it's natural to assume that I would be a fan of the oldies station. While it's true that I enjoy listening to the music that I grew up on, I have to tell you that many of the newer styles of music also appeal to me, and that includes both secular and Christian music. As a matter of fact, I sometimes look back at some of the styles of clothing, hair, and even the music that we thought was so cool and I have to ask, "Really?" Many of the fashions of yesterday now seem laughable, while I really have to question the messages in the songs we once enjoyed so much. And once again I'm speaking about both secular and Christian music. Many of the secular songs of my teenage years actually promoted drug use, and the Christian songs.....well, let's take a look at one in particular. In my view, it promotes church stagnation. First of all, let me tell you that I never actually liked this song, but it is typical of many of the songs of its day. And one little side note, also like so many songs of that era, it started with the word "well." Here are some of the lyrics: Well, they tore the old country church down, Built a big new church way up town, With a steeple so high It reaches to the sky, And pride has slipped in, Where love should have been. Even when that was a popular song and I was just a kid, I questioned its message. Maybe I have its overall purpose all wrong, but to me, it is implying that small country churches are good and big city churches are bad. Now, in no way, shape or form am I insinuating that small country churches are not good, but let's take a practical look at what this song is saying and see if it is in agreement with the biblical message that is sometimes called "The Great Commission." If I attend a small church, is it right for me to want it to stay small? Is there ever a point where we say that we now have enough people? If that is the case, should we put up a "No Vacancy" or a "You Are Not Welcome" sign? Maybe we could make a waiting list, and when a church member dies or moves away, we could allow in the person at the top of the list. Earlier this morning, I was sitting on a plane talking to the man across the aisle, and he was telling me how much he loves his little church and how he just doesn't think he could handle a big church. However, I also believe if I wanted to move my family to his church, he would be delighted to have us, even if our presence made it a little bigger. So, where is the stopping point when it comes to welcoming new people? I don't think there is one. I think any person who loves God, loves his church, and also loves people, like Christians are supposed to do, will not only always keep out the welcome mat for new people, but will actively work toward church growth. And that means we're continually working to change our little church into a big one, regardless of how many times we sing that song. Yes, I know it also says something about pride slipping in, but pride has been known to slip in little churches as well. I can recall just a few short years ago when our church was housed in a tiny white building, and everyone there loved their "little" church. But they also loved people, and as a result, that little white building is now just a memory. Today, strangely enough, all those same people love their "big" church. But they also still love people. I think we all know what is gonna happen as a result. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment