Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCLI

This guy sitting next to me is a very important person in my life. In fact, at this point in time, his value to me is beyond measure. Without him, I've got problems. "Who is he?" you may ask. Uh, I don't know his name. In fact, I have no idea where he lives, whether he's married, divorced or single, or if he has kids. There hasn't been a word passed between us, and chances are there won't be. What I do know is there are some areas where I'm extremely weak, and there are some things that I need someone else to do for me. I'm in desperate need of one of those things right now, and it's something this man can do. You see, I'm at an airport and it's time to go home, but I can't fly a plane. Thankfully, this guy is a pilot who is trained to fly the aircraft I'm about to board, and that's what he is gonna do. Without him, or someone just like him, I'd have to set out walking, and it's a long walk from Irving, TX. I'm typing these words onto an iPad, and it's working perfectly. All I have to do is touch the letters on the screen, and they magically appear for you or anyone else to read. If it was left up to me to build a device that would work like this, it wouldn't get done. This may surprise you, but I don't know how to build an iPad. Furthermore, practically every person who reads this will be doing so via the Internet, which I also don't know how to construct. (Thank God for Al Gore.) I had soup for lunch, and as usual, I had crackers with my soup. Trouble is, I don't know how to make crackers. I have to depend on people who do. I can't read without my glasses, so I'm thankful for those who know how to make prescription eyeglasses. I could go on and on with countless examples, but five is enough and you're starting to get the picture. It would be a tough life if we had to live our lives in a bubble, with no help from other human beings. Yes, I believe every able-bodied person should be responsible for providing for himself, but that includes knowing how to depend on the expertise of others, as we provide our own skills in return. My wife works for a heart surgeon. I've never known anyone who performed his own bypass operation. Hey, I have an idea! In the areas where I'm weak and you are strong, if you'll help me, I'll return the favor. If you don't have any weaknesses where I'm strong, let me do something for you anyway. It'll make me feel better. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment