Friday, October 30, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDXCI

One day when Lake, my grandson, was about two years old, it was just he and I at my house, and I made the statement, "I'm gonna get some apple juice." Immediately I heard that small voice behind me, "I gonna get appa juice." I poured each of us a glass, and leaned back against the cabinet, and crossed one leg over the other. I looked at him and he was doing the exact same thing as me, with his legs crossed just like mine. Then it hit me: With every move I make, I'm being watched and copied. Not only that, I'm being heard and repeated. When the gravity of that reality sank in, I suddenly became more aware of my words and actions lest I be instrumental in leading a small, impressionable child down a path he shouldn't travel. It wasn't long until I became much more aware of what I was doing or saying. I would start to say something, then I would think about who was listening. Even when I was drinking my tea with my meal, I would hold my glass with both hands, because someone was watching and wanting to do everything just like I did. Then another fact occurred to me. Although Lake was watching me, he watched his parents even more, but his dad had been watching and listening to ME for about twenty-seven years at that time. My words and actions of today and yesterday will have an impact on the type of adult Lake turns out to be, which will in turn affect the life he lives in front of his children and grandchildren. Consequently, generations following me, ones I'll never get to meet, will be impacted by what I do and say today. Do my words and actions carry weight? I should say they do, considering the fact that fifty years from now their effect will still be felt. Am I the type person who gives up and quits when I face the slightest opposition, or do I have a determination of steel? Those behind me are watching. Do I say whatever I need to say just to get me by for that moment, without regard to the truth? Those behind me are listening. What kind of husband and dad am I? Those behind me are watching. Am I faithful to my family, my friends, my boss, and most of all, to God? Those behind me are watching. Am I quick to lose my temper, fly off the handle and yell obscenities? Those behind me are listening. Am I unstable or unreliable? Those behind me are watching. How do I react when I face difficult situations? Those behind me are watching. Am I constantly chasing rainbows, while neglecting the tried and true? Those behind me are watching. Am I a hard worker? Those behind me are watching. One more point: When I refer to "those behind me," it may be more than just my offspring. There may be those who are observing my actions while I'm not even aware of my impact on their lives. It's an awesome responsibility that I should not take lightly. What will be my legacy? Those behind me are watching. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment