Friday, October 16, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLXXXIX

When I was a kid growing up, I had an uncle I really admired and respected. He was very athletic, and he and I spent many hours together hiking in the woods or riding bicycles along all the roads in the Nebo area. He died suddenly when he was in his early forties and I was in my twenties, but I still remember much of the advice he gave me. One of the pieces of advice I received from him is what I want to focus on today: "When someone offers you something, take it." When I think about it, it really makes sense. After all, if they offer it, they must not mind giving it to me. If they offer it but they don't actually want to give it to me, it will be a learning experience for them....to never offer something they don't want to give. There's one more very compelling reason to take that advice, and I want to illustrate it with a story I heard a few years ago. A young couple found themselves in dire financial straits, and they were in a situation where they had three days to pay their electricity bill or they would be cut off. In desperation, they finally prayed for God to come to their rescue. The next day, a friend from church called and asked if they could keep her three kids overnight, and she offered to pay them almost exactly what they needed to get caught up on their electricity bill. The young bride was heard telling someone a few days later, "I had prayed for God to help us, but before He could get to it, my friend from church payed me to babysit, and that gave us enough to pay it." I have news for that young lady, and this is the other reason to take my uncle's advice.....God works through people. I'm reminded of Luke 6:38 which says, "Give and it shall be given to you, good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, shall men give into your bosom." The point there is if we give, we will receive, but it specifies that when we receive, it will be from other people. God works through people. Without a doubt, there are many people who are instrumental in carrying out the work of God who never have any idea that's what they're doing. For others, there is no doubt in their minds that their work is part of a divine plan. It makes me wonder if there have been times when God was using me for His purpose and I didn't even know it. Who knows....maybe it's better that way. I sure don't want to be the one taking credit for something that's really God's work. However, it would be nice to know that I was following His plan and direction. I'll say it one more time....God works through people. Therefore, if He wants to use someone else to bless me, I'll let Him. If somebody offers me something, I'll take it. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment