Friday, June 26, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLXXIV

It saddened me when I first read the news of the death of Beau Biden, the son of Vice President Joe Biden. Then I became worried. Whether or not we agree with his politics, we have to admit Joe Biden is a likable guy, yet I feared there would be those who, due to their political differences with our current administration, would begin spouting off, making light of the grief his family is feeling at this time. Thankfully, at the time I'm writing this article, if there has been any of that type of chatter going on, I haven't heard it. Maybe I've lost too much confidence in my fellow man, but with all the nasty comments I've heard and read in the past few years about our brothers and sisters with differing political views, it's easy to understand my fear. I'm longing for the day when civility returns to our political discussions. Isn't it possible for us to debate the issues without stooping to name calling and hateful remarks about those who disagree with us? We're now in the beginning stages of the 2016 Presidential campaigns, which means the parties have hired crews strategically for the purpose of what they call "Opposition Research." That's simply a feel-good title for what would more accurately be called "Character Assassination Research." One side does it just as much as the other. Is this what our founding fathers had in mind? On more than one occasion I have visited The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington, DC, and each time there was a significant crowd on hand to watch The Changing of the Guard. One thing struck me as I looked around at all of my fellow Americans viewing the activities: There was no doubt that citizens from both major political parties were represented there, and there was no doubt that every person in attendance was a true American patriot, while we all stood there in reverence as one body. Can't we debate our differences with the same honor and respect we felt for each other at that time? What I believe, I strongly believe, but I've come to the realization that those who disagree with me feel just as strongly about their views as I do about mine. That doesn't mean we have to hate each other. There's a big difference between debating the issues and ripping each other apart. One can only assume that mudslinging begins when an individual feels he is losing the issues debate, the way kids do when they've been proven wrong. I realize much of this is done to play on our emotions, when our decisions should be made on logic....not emotion. I'm all for disagreement, debate, and working to persuade other citizens to see things our way, as long as we stick to the issues at hand and do it in a cordial, civilized manner. It seems to me that I can recall something about one of the two greatest commandments that says, "Love your neighbor as yourself." When we do that, we call each other nice names, even when we disagree. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment