Friday, April 24, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLXV

It was twenty-nine years ago when I began my current job, which requires a lot of travel. Since then I've driven well over a million miles, and when a person travels that many miles, he will inevitably see some horrific accidents along the way. Fortunately, those scenes are rare. Every time I see one of those accidents, it upsets me, and my mind always goes to the fact that they happen so quickly, and so many people's lives are thrown into chaos as a result. Just a few days ago, I had to drive from home to Fort Smith, AR, and it was raining cats and dogs the entire way, causing the trip to take just a little over six and a half hours. That day turned out to be the worst day for me so far, as it relates to passing major automobile accidents. During that six hour drive, I saw four major accidents requiring ambulances, and in one case, causing traffic to have to be diverted to another highway. As a result of the events I witnessed that day, I naturally began to notice the way other motorists were driving, and I had to conclude that it was a miracle I only saw four accidents on that trip. Obviously, there are many people who erroneously feel they know how to drive in heavy rain, yet they violate almost every rule pertaining to rainy day driving. Therefore, I have decided to list some reminders about driving in the rain that I hope will cause all of us to pause and think about some common sense rules that may save some lives. When it's raining, turn on your lights. In addition to the falling rain, the spray from other vehicles, especially the big trucks, not only makes it harder for you to see, but it also makes it harder for you to be seen. If you're in a light colored car, such as white or light gray, you're even more camouflaged. Your lights make you much more visible. Don't drive with your cruise control engaged. Many highways have ruts that develop in the areas where tires normally travel, and they hold water when it's raining. If you're not extremely careful, they will throw you, and the cruise control increases that likelihood. One thing to keep in mind though, if you're like me and are accustomed to using the cruise, be sure to watch your speed, because it's easy to speed up without realizing it. Make sure you keep tires with good tread on your vehicle. Two different times, down through the years, I have hydroplaned in heavy rain, completely losing control of my car, and both times, my tires were beginning to get slick. SLOW DOWN! I will admit if you are driving much slower than the normal flow of traffic, you are creating a hazard, but the faster you drive, the higher your chance of hydroplaning becomes, and you are not only endangering your own life, but also the lives of everyone around you. Don't engage in any activity that might distract you from your driving. It's never safe to play with your phone when you're behind the wheel, but the danger increases ten fold on rainy days. Staying completely alert is of utmost importance. To me, the biggest danger is people who have an attitude that says, "I've got this. I know what I'm doing." When a person has that frame of mind, yet they violate many of the rules I just mentioned, it tells me they just THINK they know what they're doing. I've been with other drivers on rainy days when I said to myself, "If I get out of this alive, I'll never ride with this person again." And believe me, I stick to that vow. One other factor we must consider: Any time we're involved in an accident when we're at fault, and the other party is killed or seriously injured, we can find ourselves in serious legal trouble. Trust me, it CAN happen to you. It CAN happen to me. We can't control the actions of other drivers, but if we'll adhere to a few common sense rules, we can greatly increase our own chances of arriving alive. Heavy rain is a good enough excuse for being a little late. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment