Friday, January 23, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLII

At what point should a person say, "Okay, this part of my life is over?" I can remember famous athletes who decided to retire while they were still at the top of their game, while others stayed on well past their prime, literally to the point to where they rarely saw any action. Which one made the most wise decision? Maybe that answer depends on each individual's frame of mind and his ability to face reality. A few weeks ago as I turned on the TV and started flipping channels, I landed on a station where a very popular singer of the late 60s and early 70s was performing. Since that's my era and I knew most of the songs he used to sing, I stopped to listen. I'm not sure how old he is now, but since he was already big when I was in high school, I assume he's a few years older than I am. He was doing one of his old hits, but when he reached the part of the song where there are some high notes, his voice cracked and he went a little flat. Been there and done that! I really felt bad for him, but I also thought, "Hey man, it's time to face facts and let it go." As I think about a person's ability to face reality, I realize all of us will reach the point where we'll have no choice in the matter. We'll face it whether we want to or not. The question is, will we make the decision on our own as to when it happens, or will we wait for others to tell us. It seems to me that there are really no good options there, yet I'd rather decide for myself than to wait for another person to point it out to me....assuming I'll still have all my mental facilities. I've recently had to face one of those realities in my life, but for now, most of those decisions are still ahead of me. When will I have to retire? When it's time for me to stop driving, will I be able to make that decision, or will someone else do it for me? It's known as the cycle of life. We're all here on a temporary basis because aging is a natural process, and no amount of Botox or hair dye can stop it. I'm doing my best to stay fit and healthy, yet for you, me, and everybody else, the clock keeps ticking and the time of those decisions is rushing toward us. As for me, I feel that my best bet is to keep an open mind and always be ready to look reality square in the face, because if I don't, someone else will. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment