Friday, January 16, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLI

In my line of work I have to have several suitcases to use for my samples. I don't know if you've priced luggage lately, but what I've seen is ridiculous! My frustration has caused me to go against my own philosophy, and not practice what I have preached. I've violated my principles and gone to the big discount stores to try to save a few bucks, but even there the prices are outrageous, and I consider myself lucky if they last through two seasons without a broken zipper, messed-up wheels, or a handle that's stuck either open or closed. I was complaining about it to one of my clients, and he reminded me about something I already knew: I come out cheaper in the long run if I go with better quality; so when I bought my next one, I paid more than double what I had been paying, and went with LL Bean, and bought a suitcase that's guaranteed for life. The difference in the way it handles, the quality of the zipper, and the overall appearance of the item is very noticeable. In the past few years, I have developed an appreciation for quality that I didn't have as a younger man. Before, I went by how an item looked on the rack. For instance, in the store, the difference in the quality of two shirts may not be as apparent as it is once they've been worn and washed a couple times. When they're hanging on the rack, we don't see the collar not laying flat, the buttons not staying buttoned, the color running, or the holes that just appear in the fabric. That cheap belt hanging on the rack may look nice, and the label may even say "Genuine Leather," but in most cases the actual leather is as thin as paper, and will crack and peel after it has been worn three or four times. I'm well aware of the temptation to head to the big discount store when finances are tight, but it's the worst thing a person can do. I've often thought about how poor people end up paying more than their more affluent neighbors pay for most things. The affluent pay their utility bills on time and avoid late charges. The affluent pay the entire balance on their credit cards every month and avoid big interest charges. The affluent put better tires on their cars and get more mileage from them. The affluent put better faucets on their sinks, and never have to replace them. The affluent buy better clothes that look good longer and last longer, cutting back on how often they have to buy new ones. There are a lot of stores that sell quality brands at reduced prices. The way they do it is by purchasing last years styles from the manufacturers, but they still look good and the quality is still there. Also, the regular stores will often have some great buys at the end of a season if the regular prices are unaffordable. Just like most everyone, I prefer buying quality, but I had a temporary mental lapse when I was constantly having to purchase new luggage. I've now recovered my senses and started buying quality again, and I remember that always buying the cheapest of anything will NOT save me money. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment