Friday, August 15, 2014

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDXLIX

The call I received from my daughter-in-law was the type that made me drop what I was doing and take immediate action. I had just sat down for a quick lunch when the phone rang, and she said, "Can you come with me to take Lake to the ER?" Within twenty seconds I was in my car, heading that direction. What had happened was he was running full speed through the house to take something to the utility room, and when he went through the kitchen, he cut a little too short and hit his head on the bottom corner of the bar. The injury produced a lot of blood, and left a deep gash that required several stitches. It has probably been a couple years since it happened, so Lake was about six at the time. Just like any typical six year old, he didn't want anyone, not even the doctor, touching his head anywhere near the injured area, much less opening it up to take a look at it. He didn't realize that in order for his head to heal and for the pain to go away, someone would have to open and expose the injury, and take the necessary steps to bring healing. I guess it's understandable for a six year old child to react that way, but since you and I are adults, we know better, don't we. Don't we? Well.....do we? When it comes to our physical bodies, maybe we do know better, but I dare say that many of us are carrying around hidden pain and secret injuries that we insist on keeping totally to ourselves, not allowing anyone else to even be aware that we're hurting. I admit that my grandson was probably right not wanting just any and every body to open and view his wound, and the same holds true for the kinds of wounds you and I are hiding, yet we'll never experience true healing if we don't expose these hurts to someone we trust. If we hadn't forced Lake to let us, the nurses, and the doctor take a look at his injury, it would've ended up getting infected and would've only gotten worse. While it's true that there are those who cannot be trusted with the information we're keeping concealed, there are those in whom we CAN trust, and if we think about it, we really know who they are. When the doctor opened Lake's wound, it did cause some temporary pain, but because he endured that short-term discomfort, he is completely healed today. I'm a very private individual....the type of person who doesn't want just anybody knowing my business, but as I age, I'm learning there are times when I have to open up and let someone else become aware of my secrets. It may be hidden pain, insecurities, or even secret guilt that's bothering me, and it will continue to do so until I go through the awkward act of allowing it to be exposed to some other trusted individual.....someone who only has my best interest at heart. Our injuries will only continue to fester until we allow someone else to open them up and take a look. Yes, it's painful to do so, but that short term pain brings permanent healing. Whether or not we want to admit it, there are some problems we can't fix by ourselves. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment