Friday, June 20, 2014

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDXLI

I've heard people talk about the effects peanut allergies can have on an individual, but I'm not aware of any of my acquaintances who actually have to deal with that malady. If I did know someone like that, however, it would be cruel of me to try to tempt that person with any type of food that may contain peanuts. Surely no rational thinking person would knowingly commit such a deed. It would be criminal. I heard one man, who was lactose intolerant, say that he had friends who would tempt him with ice cream. What were they thinking? From what I've heard, it's fairly common for recovering alcoholics to be offered drinks from thoughtless friends. To me, none of that makes sense. It would be like asking that person to drink poison. For those of us who are fortunate enough to not be affected by peanut allergies, lactose intolerance, or alcoholism, we can partake of any of those items without giving it a second thought, and hopefully if I choose to eat peanuts when I'm dining at Logan's, it will not offend the person who has peanut allergies. In fact, I often commit a double whammy...I like to drink milk with my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I can consume it without guilt, because it doesn't harm me. Therefore, the same things that may be okay for me may actually be harmful to others. That leads to the point I want to make. Do you know what I'm talking about when I use the term "personal convictions?" They are standards, or guidelines, used by individuals to help them govern their lives and keep on target for certain goals they may have set for themselves. These convictions may not be about anything unethical or even sinful...they're simply rules that a person sets for himself, and no two individuals will have the same set of convictions. Some examples of what I'm talking about may be certain types of clothing some people may choose not to wear, foods or beverages they choose to not consume, or maybe even certain types of music they choose to avoid, etc. It would be good if each of us would have a list of personal convictions to help us stay on track. There is an unwritten "code of ethics," however, that should be followed when dealing with personal standards. If I have a set of these convictions for myself, I must not try to impose them on you or anyone else. What's wrong for me may not be wrong for you. By the same token, if you have your personal convictions, in no way should I try to persuade you to change or violate any of them. I must respect you for your stand and realize you have your set of standards for a reason, even if I don't know what that reason may be. The same rules that apply to peanut allergies, lactose intolerance, and alcoholism should also be followed with personal convictions. Let's make a deal: I won't try to impose any of my personal convictions on you if you won't pressure me to change or relax any of them for myself, and vice versa. If we break this deal, it could be poisonous for us both. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment