Monday, June 17, 2013

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCLXXX

Okay, I admit that she was being a little over dramatic, but the words she was yelling had some truth to them and served as some great fodder for me in the opening paragraph in today's article. Here's what happened: We were at a 5K race in Farmerville, Louisiana. I had already finished and was standing with the other finishers and spectators near the finish line watching the remaining runners as they were approaching the line. A good friend was chatting with me and had my attention until we suddenly heard some high-pitched screaming and yelling coming from a young woman who was about to reach the finish line. At first her words were inaudible, but as she got closer, we were able to make out what she was saying, "MOVE OUTTA MY WAY!! I CAN'T STOP! I CAN'T STOP!" She ran through the finish area, past the table where she was supposed to sign her card, on for at least thirty more yards before she finally came to a halt. (I have a feeling that if there had been a pond full of alligators behind the finish line, she would've been able to stop a little sooner.) Her words and actions helped prove a scientific fact: "Objects in motion tend to stay in motion." And if she had hit that table that was set up behind the finish line, she would have learned the second part of that statement: "Objects at rest tend to stay at rest." A train is a good example. It's hard to get a train moving when it's stopped, but once it gets going, it's hard to stop. Now, since a person's body is an object, we could also say, "Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, and bodies at rest tend to stay at rest." You can watch a small child and find evidence of that theory. At night, if he's running and playing hard, he will not want to shut down when it's bed time, but the next morning after he's been sleeping all night, he will not want to get up. I know some people who seem to be addicted to exercise, and I think it's because they are bodies in motion. I also know some people who appear to be lazy, and that's because they're bodies at rest. And neither group really understands the other. One of my good running friends recently told her husband, "It's hard to explain the passion of climbing a mountain to a person who rides an escalator." As a runner, I have discovered that one of the hardest things for me is taking a break from running when I have an injury, but, you see, I am a body in motion. In those situations, like most die-hard runners, or "bodies in motion," I have a tendency to start back before I'm completely recovered. Another scientific fact is "it is possible for a body in motion to become a body at rest, and a body at rest can become a body in motion." Although it's rare, a workaholic can become lazy, but the good news is a slothful individual can, with some effort, become a "body in motion." Several years ago I made that effort and became that body in motion, and I plan to remain that way until the day I become, not simply a body at rest, but a body at eternal rest. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment