Monday, January 14, 2013

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCLVIII

"It's not about me." I could start writing examples of Americans putting that principle into practice and I would end up making this article so long that no one would read it. At the time of this writing, it's been a mere four days since the horrific school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, and we're hearing some heartwarming stories of teachers and first responders who, without hesitation, put themselves in harm's way to try to save the lives of those innocent children. I marveled at the outpouring of concern and support from all across this nation when Hurricane Katrina slammed into our own region of the country just a few years ago. We then had the opportunity to reciprocate just a couple months ago when Sandy battered the Northeast so severely. Just this morning I was chatting with a friend as we discussed the topic of neighbors helping neighbors, such as taking over a meal when someone is sick, helping with the cleanup when a tree or big limb falls in the neighbor's yard, or mowing the lawn of an elderly person who is no longer able and cannot afford to pay someone to do it. Things like that happen all the time across this great land of ours, and it's because the overwhelming majority of our citizens are good people. I've heard it said that you really can't be called a generous giver until you give to those who can do nothing for you in return, but I'm happy to report that we have generous givers in every section of our country, from every level of society, from every racial background, from every religious denomination....basically from all walks of life. Thank God for people who live by the principle, "It's not about me." What I've just said is reality. Now let's dream a little. I'm thinking about writing a song to the tune of Mercy Me's "I Can Only Imagine," and the theme of the song would be, "I can only imagine what it would be like if our leaders in Washington would develop an 'It's not about me' attitude." I get so frustrated when I know that they know what it would take to get our country back on track, but they're afraid to do it because of how it might affect their political careers, or their power base. I've heard so many promise to do what's right, even if it means they only get to serve one term, yet rarely do I see them follow through with that promise once they get elected. Here's my message to Congress and even the President: "Those teachers in Connecticut sacrificed their own lives to protect their students, yet you're afraid to risk your position of power for the sake of our nation. Instead of electing you, maybe we would be better off if we had elected some teachers and first responders as our leaders. You know....the ones who actually live by the principle, 'It's not about me.' " Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment