Monday, January 9, 2012

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCV

It baffles me to see where there are people who dislike the Ben Davis story. That young man has an awesome testimony, but apparently there are a few who disagree. In his story, Ben Davis of Little Rock, AR, tells of how he was morbidly obese, and as a result was actually a very sad individual. Then one day he decided to do something about it, and since then he has accomplished some lofty goals that would've been unthinkable just a couple years before. Someone sent me an email with the link to his YouTube production, and I, in turn, posted it on our Facebook Crazy Runners page. I was so impressed that I must have watched it five or six times, and I noticed where thousands of people had "liked" it, but what got my attention was the fact that there were sixty-eight people who had clicked "dislike."

What kind of person can find something negative to say about an individual who successfully decides to take control of his life and put it back in order? I've come to the conclusion that apparently some people are unhappy and they want everyone else to be unhappy with them. As I thought about it, I realized that I think I may know who some of these folks are, and you probably do too. If not, just get on Facebook a while and you'll find them. I see some, on both sides of the political spectrum, who are so consumed with hatred for everyone on the other side, that all you see from them are vile, venomous comments and postings. (I should pause here long enough to mention that only a few people fall into this category.) It occurred to me that I could easily "de-friend" them, but I don't think I will, because I've discovered a "positive" in their rantings.

You see, I have figured out that these few individuals are providing me with a great example of what I DO NOT want to become, and they're making me realize that if I'm not careful, I can end up with that same unhealthy attitude. So how do I make sure I don't fall into their pit? There is a way. I've heard it said that a person has no control over what thoughts pop into his mind, and whether or not that is true, we CAN control what happens after that. Your mind is like a garden. When weeds appear, you can either pluck them out, or you can water and fertilize them along with the good crop until they take over and choke out the good stuff. When evil, negative thoughts show up, you can flush them, or dwell on them until they crowd out all the healthy, positive thoughts. Let me take you to the book I like to use to help me keep my life on the right track: The Holy Bible. It's found in Philippians 4:8. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Yes, at times I get mad. Sometimes I'm sad, or depressed, or maybe just in a bad mood. All those feelings are just a part of being human, but I'm here to tell you right now that I refuse to become the type of individual who is viewed by the world as a negative, angry person. So if you're going to be hanging out with me for a while, my goal is when it's time for you to leave that you'll be feeling better than when you came.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment