Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXCIV

They're still alive!! Both of them! How can this be? Although I vividly remember each of their deaths, I can now announce that both of my parents are still living....and will continue to do so for years to come. Maybe you're thinking that what I really mean is they've left their earthly bodies behind and are now enjoying eternal bliss in Heaven. I don't have one shred of doubt that that's true; but, no, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about right here on earth. Before you jump to conclusions, I haven't suddenly lost it and gone off the deep end...well, I'll tell you what I'm talking about.

What I said about them now being in Heaven is true, and although I would love to be able to get one more hug or hear their voices one more time, I'm afraid that's still just as impossible now is was the days after their funerals. Yet, in a manner of speaking, they're still here. Not long ago, we found a jar of pickles that Mom had made. I enjoyed them so much, because it was like I was still eating her cooking. Over the years of his life, Dad had amassed an impressive set of tools, some of which I still use today, and I think of him each time I do. However, Mom's pickles and Dad's tool collection are not what I'm talking about either. As far as money is concerned, there wasn't all that much left for us to fight over. Each of us kids now have something in our homes that belonged to our parents, and they're things that mean the world to us...things we'll cherish for the rest of our lives. But those are all material things, things that will eventually perish. What I'm talking about that is still here is something much more...something that has the potential to last forever, if we preserve it. It's....well... it's them.

What I am, and what my brother and sister are, is a combination of our parents. Their moods, their strengths, their weaknesses, their temperaments, their sense of humor, their beliefs, their work ethic, their manner of speaking, their accents, their physical stature, their value system, and even their methods of dealing with others are all still very much alive in their children. In fact, I can now also say that those same attributes have been passed on down to their grandchildren and great grandchildren. You may say that you never had the opportunity to meet my parents, but if you've met me, then you can get a pretty good idea of what they were like, because what they were is who I am, with their influence surviving for generations to come.

I've heard it said that words are not as important as the attitude with which they are spoken. If that's the case, I may now owe you an apology. Here's why: In my opinion, my parents were the most awesome people I ever knew, and if it's true that they still live through me....well, maybe I'm bragging a little bit. Sorry about that. But it's still true.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment