Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXCIII

Dear Politicians,
I have good news and bad news. The good news is I've been hearing what you've been saying, and that means I've been hearing a lot, because lately you've had a lot to say. The bad news is what I'm hearing and what you're saying may not be the same thing. Now it's time for ME to talk and YOU to listen. First of all, let me tell you that I'm just an average citizen...probably about as average as you can find...I'm right in the middle as far as income, intelligence, education, etc. And I vote. I don't base my vote so much on what you say, but I base it more on the message I receive from your words. Let me explain:

You've asked me for my vote time and time again. That's fair. I expect you to do that. But my question is "Why?" Why do you want that office? And you say you want to fight for me. Oh, really? You're doing all of this for me? Well, in case you didn't know it, each one of your opponents said the same thing. So, naturally, that leads me to ask this question: "If every one of the candidates is in this strictly for me, why should I vote for you instead of one of them?" This is where it starts to get interesting. You then tell me that each one of the other guys is a sleaze bag. Well, I hate to pop your bubble, but I just heard from more than one of them that you are too. So then you tell me that you have a plan. Great! Now we're getting somewhere. What is your plan? You're going to announce it later? Well, that stinks! I want to hear it now! "Oh, you'll love it when you hear it," you say. Would I love it if I heard it now? I think I'm starting to smell a rat.

If you want my vote, let me tell you what I'm looking for in a candidate. I want someone who can handle the job, but, equally important, I demand honesty and integrity. In other words, I'm looking for someone with character, and I'm having a hard time finding that. Here's what I AM finding. I see someone who tries to build himself up by tearing other people down....and in my book, that's a total lack of character. I also see someone who, in order to get elected, is willing to spend more than ten times the listed salary for that position over the next four years. That tells me two things: One, there must be some hidden benefits for you that you're not willing to talk about; and two, when you get into office, you would have no problem spending a lot more money than we're taking in. Now about this plan you say you have. You know, the one you refuse to reveal until later. Here's my conclusion: Either you really don't have one or you're afraid it won't hold up to scrutiny. Oh, and there's one more thing....when you tell me that you're doing all of this for me, you are insulting my intelligence.

Yes, I know that I'm just an average guy, and maybe over the years we average people have been too easily deceived, but let me also say that more and more of us are starting to pay attention, and we don't like what we're seeing. If you don't hear us now, you WILL hear us on election day.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment