Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXXXV

My brother and I have reached an agreement. Since we both write articles on a regular basis, we sometimes take each others' ideas and use them for our own articles, but we compensate each other when we do that; we pay fifteen per cent of our net profit from each article. When I told him that I would be using one of his thoughts today, he wanted to negotiate for sixteen per cent, and I agreed after I made some quick mathematical calculations in my head. So far, we've both earned exactly the same amount of money, and if you're interested in knowing how much it is, just figure fifteen per cent of zero. Anyway, thank you, Stan, for the idea for today's article.

Let's take a quick look at how the human body was designed. My eyes are in the front of my head, which makes it easier and more convenient to look forward. Next we'll examine the way my arms are attached at my shoulders. I can swing my arms backward for a short distance, but they swing farther the other way. Now, with that in mind, when I consider how my arms bend at my elbows, it's obvious that I was also designed to reach forward. What about my legs? There again, my legs are attached at the hips so that I can swing them much farther forward than I can swing them backward. The way my legs bend at the knees is also part of a design to move forward. In fact, when you get right down to it, even the way my legs attach at the back part of my feet, with my feet and toes on the front side of my ankles and heels, it is much easier for me to move forward.

Now if we are to believe the Bible, which I do with every fiber of my being, we find that we were created in the image of God; which means He made us the same way that He is designed. It's possible for me to look back, but I have to turn my head around to the point that it's uncomfortable. I can reach back, but only for a very short distance; and if you think I run slow, you should see me when I try to run backwards. Even our cars are made so that we can move in reverse for only a short distance at a very slow rate of speed, and when we do back up, it's very inconvenient. Many years ago, humans invented mirrors so that we can see behind us, but when you stop to think about, even the reflections we see in the mirrors are backwards...the reverse of the way things really are. Here's the point: Even though it's inconvenient, it is possible for us to look behind us, reach backward, or move in reverse, but when we do, we're never going to be what God wants us to be, because we're going against His grand design. The placement and function of our eyes, arms, legs and feet are like they are for a single purpose: So that we can look, reach and move FORWARD!

Have you ever stopped to think about the fact that every time we back up, we are going back over ground where we've already been, and if we want to make progress, we'll have to go back over it again. Let me give you an example that many of you can identify with: If I'm on a weight loss program, every time I gain an unwanted pound, that is a pound that I will have to lose again. Every inch of territory that I surrender is territory that I'll have to re-conquer.

We all have the option to back up if that's what we insist on doing, but if we want to efficiently reach our goals and the plans God has for our lives, we must follow our grand design to look, reach and move forward. The less we back up, the faster we'll reach our destination.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment