Monday, June 21, 2010

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXXIV

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a heart surgeon." Those words were spoken to me by my four year old grandson, just a few days ago. The typical four year old has probably never even heard of a heart surgeon, but unfortunately, Lake became quite familiar with that term last month when his baby sister had open heart surgery. I must say, though, that I admire his ambition, although I'm aware that by the time he gets old enough to make the ultimate decision as to what his career choices will be, he will likely change his mind at least thirty-nine times. I do not, however, believe that it is too early to begin to guide him and begin preparing him for an illustrious career, whatever it may be.

Both of my parents grew up in an era and area where the average person never even received a high school diploma. The young women would quit school to get married, and the men would have to start working to help support their families while they were still in their early to mid teens. That's just the way it was, and Mom and Dad were no exceptions. Yet I believe that down through history, parents have had the desire for their kids to receive more education, climb higher and achieve more than they did. Education-wise, I had already done that when I graduated high school; and I know they were proud of me when I received my college degree. Now I'm proud of my own kids as I see them progress farther than I did, and hopefully my grandchildren will attain even loftier goals.

But that doesn't happen by accident. Our children must be nurtured, encouraged, guided, and even pushed to reach the levels in their lives that we would like for them to achieve; and that's not an easy task. There's a world out there that is grabbing for them non-stop with drugs, illicit sex, alcohol abuse, and countless other vices that we have to aggressively counter at the same time that we're nurturing them to have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and an undying devotion to their Lord and Savoir. It's a tough job, but it's also very achievable if we never ever let up.

The reason Lake chose the particular career path that he stated to me was because he saw that, due to the work of a heart surgeon, his baby sister, Lennon, was able to come home as a healthy little girl after having to spend the first six weeks of her life in the hospital. Fortunately for him and his sister, they have a set of parents that will do everything within their power to encourage them and keep them on the straight and narrow so that they will be more likely to reach whatever goals they set for their lives. Right now, there's no way to tell which direction either one of them will want to go. Whether it be a professor or a heart surgeon, I'm gonna do my part to help them get there. I hope I can live long enough to see it happen.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment