Saturday, June 12, 2010

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXXIII

Have you ever wished you could get inside the mind of an animal? How do their thought processes work when they have no concept of spoken language? Think about a dog, for instance. One of the things that make a dog "man's best friend" is the fact that they love us unconditionally. My daughter has a miniature Schnauzer named Marlee, and we can go to the mailbox and come right back into the house, and she acts like she is so happy to see us when we come back in. I just think it would be so interesting to be able to see how her mind works when she sees those whom she loves so much.

There's a little dog that lives in the subdivision where my son and daughter-in-law live, and he can often be seen out roaming the neighborhood. They have a privacy fence that completely encloses their back yard, but that little dog knows that he can come to that house and be able to get through the fence into the back yard. Then he can go under the fence in the back and get into the subdivision that backs up theirs. What is it that makes him remember which house has the "gateway" to the next neighborhood, and what is he looking for when he goes back there? Sometimes when I'm driving down the highway, I'll see a dog that is definitely on a mission, and I often wish that I could follow him just to see what that mission is.

One thing that amazes me is watching birds that are on the highway as I approach. They seem to know when it's just the right second to move out of the way just in time. Of course the birds that don't have that ability don't live to be seen too many times, but every time I've hit a bird with my car, it was a bird that was already in flight...not the one that was standing on the road in front of me. Even with the tiny brains that they have, they apparently have a God-given sense of "self preservation" that gives them the ability to know how to estimate the speed of the approaching vehicle and time their moves just right.

How much are animals able to figure out about what is going on? What about the ones who have just arrived at the slaughter house? Are they aware that they're about to meet their demise? I do like to eat meat, but to me, the worst job in the world would be the for the guy at the slaughter house who has to kill the animals...especially if they know what's about to happen to them.

All my life I've been in awe of God's creation...the mountains, rivers, oceans, all the different types of vegetation...but to me the most awesome of all creation are all the different types of life with the ability to think and reason. I wonder if God loves them as much as he loves me. It's something to think about.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment