Friday, August 21, 2015

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLXXXI

What do we do when we know company is coming? For most of us, we start cleaning and straightening our houses, making sure everything is in order and looking as good as possible. Why do we do that? Are we trying to create the impression that an immaculate home is the norm for us? How many of you believe you come close to the world record on the fastest house cleaning when you find out someone will be there in fifteen minutes? Have you ever been to someone else's house when you weren't expected, and their home was topsy turvy? I have, and to be honest, it made me feel good just knowing other people's houses can get just as messy as mine can sometime become. So......what would our homes look like if we knew no one would ever be coming to visit? Let's face it. Much of what we do, or how we act, has to do with how we appear, or how we relate, to other people. What is your weakness? Think about it. Is it jealously? Insecurity? Feelings of inferiority? Do you feel unattractive? Do you think you're a loser? Now....what is the one thing all the feelings I just mentioned have in common? They all stem from how we relate to our fellow man. Just this morning I was looking at Instagram and I saw a little poem, posted by a good friend, that tied in with this topic that was already on my mind. It's called "Masks." Here it is: She had blue skin And so did he. He kept it hid, And so did she. They searched for blue Their whole life through, Then passed right by-- And never knew. We constantly do our best to hide our flaws and imperfections to give the appearance that we're actually a little closer to perfect than we really are, and by doing so, we cause others who have the same blemishes to feel even more inadequate. For practically all my life I've battled with feelings of inadequacy, like I just don't measure up to what others expect of me or want me to be. As a result, I've worked on trying to exhibit an air of self confidence. I guess maybe it's similar to what we call the "little man syndrome" where a man of small stature subconsciously acts big and tough in an effort to cover what he feels makes him look weak in the eyes of his peers. It's as if we live our entire lives in competition with everyone else. If we're around someone who is smart, we may try to give the impression that we're just as smart, or smarter, than they are. What would life be like if all of us would remove our facades and become a little more transparent? Regardless of our income, our social status, how beautiful or handsome we are, or what our level of education may be, we all have areas where we're lacking. I do, you do, and so does everyone else we meet. The older I get, however, the more I realize my friends and family love me for who I am, and not for who I pretend to be. Actually, you might even like me better when I stop trying to make it appear I don't have these flaws, and become more comfortable with who I am. If you come ringing my doorbell in the next five minutes, you may also find my house a little less neat than it was when you were here and I was expecting you. This is the real me. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment