Friday, December 19, 2014

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDXLVII

Looking ahead from a distance, I thought it was a police car on the shoulder, checking for speeders. As I got closer, I noticed there was more than one car parked next to the highway, and it was obvious they weren't cops. The vehicles were sitting across the road and directly in front of a big house, and there were two or three people standing around. However, before I get to the story of what was going on, I probably should tell you about the house. I've seen it a few times before. Simply saying it is a big house is a vast understatement. A more accurate description would be it is a huge mansion. It's a giant 2-story home sitting back about a tenth of a mile off the highway with a lawn that is at least ten acres. The building, as well as the entire piece of property, is always kept in immaculate condition, and I've never passed that way when the lawn wasn't well manicured. The estate is surrounded by a beautiful fence. Just inside the yard, all along the fence, is a row of beautiful, old pecan trees, and the trees line both sides of the driveway up to the home. The space between the fence and the highway is kept just as well as the yard. I have no idea who lives there, but whoever it is, they are apparently people of immense wealth. Now to the people who were parked beside the road in front of the house: Their cars were, for lack of a better term, old rattle traps. Although I've never seen the residents of that fine home, there is no doubt about the stark contrast as to the social status of them and the folks outside the fence. You see, those big pecan trees along the front fence have some limbs that hang over the fence, just above the grassy area between the fence and the highway. The visitors had what looked like old pillow cases, and they were filling them with pecans. It was apparent the homeowners had no problem with their less fortunate neighbors helping themselves to a few pecans. It didn't hurt their bottom line one iota. You and I fall somewhere between the two extremes I saw on that Texas highway, yet I have no doubt that we have something we can give to the needy that won't hurt us one bit. I've recently been made aware of a family that had nothing, and the definition of "nothing" is "not anything." It has opened my eyes to just how fortunate I am, when I really hadn't realized it before. I've thrown things away that some people not far from me would love to have. It brings a whole new meaning to the old adage "One man's trash is another man's treasure." As I talk to friends, I'm amazed at how they actually want to give, but, just like me, their circle of friends and influence are not the ones who are desperately in need, and we just don't know who they are. I didn't even know about the family I mentioned, but when someone else told me about them, it made me think about things I have around my house that's just in my way since I've replaced them with newer styles, yet those people were having to do without those very items. I'm not asking for help for that family.....they're now being taken care of. Nor do I intend to make it sound like I'm trying to apply pressure for anyone else to start giving away their "stuff." I'm of the opinion that pressured giving is not real giving....it's more like someone else "taking." I also realize that some of the "have nots" are in that condition due to bad life choices, but my answer to that is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." We've all made some bad choices. No, I don't know much about that well-to-do family in south Texas, but I do like the fact that, if they wanted, they could stop the poor from taking pecans from their property....after all, how does it make their place look with all those old cars hanging around their front yard....yet they seem to welcome them there. I understand that you and I don't have the kinds of resources that family has, but I'll bet we have something we can give that won't hurt us a bit, just like giving those pecans didn't hurt that family. Every year about this time, I try to send out a reminder to everyone who may WANT to give, but we just don't know anyone in need. If we think about it though, we can think of sources of information as to who is truly in dire straits. What better way is there to celebrate the birth of Christ than to follow His example, because after all, no one gave more than He gave. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment