Friday, November 7, 2014

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CDLI

Some folks say they don't exist, but I promise I saw one with my own eyes yesterday in West Monroe. Of course the ones who are saying that would argue that I just proved their point. Now try to follow me here, because this gets complicated, since if we really give this whole scenario some thought, neither argument really makes sense, yet both sides have merit. I say the fact that I actually SAW one proves their existence. The other side then says that the fact that I actually SAW one is proof that they DON'T exist. Huh? I guess if I told you who I'm talking about, you'd begin to understand why this is such a complicated issue. Okay, here goes: This argument is about INVISIBLE PEOPLE. Maybe if we compare the difference between the way I define the term and the most commonly used definition, we will understand both arguments. You see, most people would say "invisible people" are those who cannot be seen, but my definition is they are people who simply AREN'T seen. Well, since this is my column, and I'm the one writing it, we'll go with my definition today, especially since it helps support the point I want to make. I've often thought how neat it would be to be invisible. It would be easy to find out what other people are saying about me behind my back, but I would have to always keep in mind that even though I was invisible, my feet would still make indentions in the carpet. However, if we go by my definition, being invisible is not a pleasant experience. My favorite restaurant chain in Arkansas is Dixie Cafe. Not long ago I walked into one of their locations, and they had two teenagers serving as host and hostess, a boy and a girl. They were so enamored with each other and were so deep in conversation, they paid no attention to me when I walked in, even though both of them looked directly at me. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally became frustrated and asked, "Am I invisible?" If I would've said nothing, like most invisible people do, I could have turned and walked out and nobody would've ever known I was there. Thankfully, I have the type personality that makes sure I get noticed, but so many people, for whatever reason, don't have that trait. As I look back over my life, I have to admit there are quite a few people who have come and gone, and I didn't even notice when they left....until it was too late. Occasionally either Angie or I will mention something like, "You know, I haven't seen Greg and Penny Kramer in a while." Then the other of us will say, "You 're right! I haven't either." We then feel bad that we let someone slip away and we didn't even notice they were gone. I have to wonder, if we feel bad about it, how must Greg and Penny feel? If I stop showing up to run in the mornings, stop going to church, discontinue making it to our Community Group meetings, etc., I would hope someone would notice, but not everyone has the type personality that attracts attention to themselves the way I do. If that's the case, it's up to those of us who are more "visible" to make them feel like they are just as much a part of the group as we are. Like I told you earlier, I saw one of those "invisible people" yesterday, and I made a point to stop and make conversation. It's important for me to realize not everyone has my outgoing personality, and people like that can easily "slip through the cracks." Lord, please give me a heart for those people, because after a few frustrating minutes in a restaurant, I discovered that being invisible is not fun. We visible people need to always be on the lookout for those who are invisible. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment