Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCXXXIV

It was just a dream. To be more specific, I was daydreaming. With my job, I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my car, which gives me time to think. On this particular day, my youngest child, a son, had just gotten married, and as I was driving down the highway, I was giving some thought to the new situation that Angie and I found ourselves in and wondering how we would handle the empty nest syndrome now facing us. Naturally, my thoughts moved into the future as I faced the very real prospect that in a couple years or so, there would be some new, tiny little feet walking on our floors. At first it seemed weird that I may actually soon become a grandparent, but as I thought about it, the daydreaming began. With my mind's eye, I began to picture the "grands" as toddlers, old enough to walk and enjoy spending some time with "Poppa." In this vision, I was walking along the Ouachita River, holding the hand of a small child, as I answered questions that would automatically come from a young, inquiring mind. We walked a long way downstream, which naturally required an equally lengthy stroll back up the river, just to get back to the car. The conversation was non-stop. As the dream continued, we reached the Endom Bridge which has a designated area for pedestrians, so with a tiny hand in mine, we strolled across the river and back. When we finally began to tire, without even being asked, this perfect grandparent offered to stop at the store for a Coke and a candy bar. Of course, I dreamed of several other exploits, but for some reason, the stroll along the river stuck in my mind. Now, let's fast-forward four or five years. The dream about the tiny little feet turned into reality. Then one day I received a text from my son asking if I would be available that afternoon to pick up my grandson from Pre-K. When I had him safely buckled in the car, my mind suddenly went back to that dream from a few years past. What a perfect time to make it happen! With just a few minor changes, that vision came true, almost verbatim to the way I had dreamed it. As I think back, I can only recall two variations from the original version: I was asked to stop by the store before I ever had a chance to offer, and it was to get an Icee instead of a Coke. One other slight change from the dream was the fact that I hadn't foreseen the possibility that he would inherit (from me) a fear of heights, which made the walk across the bridge a little less enjoyable than what I had visioned. Otherwise, it was a dream come true! Ladies and gentlemen, I am one lucky individual! To have dreamed the dream, and then have reality become a carbon copy of that dream, is almost more than I could've asked for. Rest assured, the dreams are continuing, and they're phenomenal! In fact, there's another little set of feet that are now following that first pair, and the dreams for her are just as wonderful as they were for her big brother. Shame on me if I don't thank the Lord every day for blessing me so much more than I deserve. Some great days are ahead! I know, because I dreamed them. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment