Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCCXXV

This article may not be without controversy. It has to do with my thoughts on hunting. Now, before you get your feathers all ruffled, let me make it clear that I don't have even the slightest objection to hunting as a sport, especially when it's done to help put food on the table. Although as a teenager I would hunt squirrels, rabbits and ducks, probably the main reason that I only kept it up for a short time is because I never really acquired a taste for wild game. Another reason may be that for many years I had a job that left me no time for any type of extracurricular activities. I barely had time for my family, much less for anything else. So now that I've reached age sixty, I can't foresee me developing a taste for wild game or becoming a hunter. I realize that many of my family and friends, including many who are regular readers of my blog, are avid hunters, so let me re-emphasize that I have no problem with that whatsoever. I also understand that with fewer predators, there has been a population explosion of deer. I'm amazed at how many deer I see just down the street from my house, in the middle of a large residential area, and I live in the heart of town, only a block away from the city hall. For the general health and survival of the species, the herds need to be thinned in many areas, and hunting is a good way of helping to accomplish that goal. Hunting also provides some perfect bonding opportunities, especially for fathers and sons. Dads who spend quality time, such as hunting, with their sons will be much more likely to see those boys turn into quality, responsible men. So where's the controversy? There's one type of hunting that I think is just plain wrong. It's referred to by many as "high fence" hunting. It is a situation where wild game is kept in fairly small areas, surrounded by a fence that is too high for a deer to jump over, and hunters are charged some pretty high fees for the privilege of "hunting" in those pens where the game has no chance. In my opinion, there is no sport in high fence hunting. As I was discussing last week, it wouldn't be considered a sport without the possibility of failure. When the hunter is guaranteed a kill, then the sport is gone and the hunter is out there simply for the joy of killing an animal. I just don't understand how people find pleasure in that type of hunting. I'll make my point one more time--if you enjoy the sport of hunting, I'm wishing you success and I hope you have a good time. If you have a son who would like to go with you, please take him and teach him how to be a real sportsman, which includes hunting animals who at least have a chance of survival. Please don't teach him to kill just for the fun of killing. Where's the sport in that? Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment