Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXCVIII

What happened? I don't know. Was there a fight? Not that I recall. Where are they now? I have no clue. I wonder if I would recognize them...or if they would recognize me. Probably not. Would we still have enough in common to carry on a decent conversation? Who knows.

The lingo that is used now to describe who I'm talking about, is "bff." I think that means "best friends forever," but I could be wrong. When my daughter was a little girl, I remember seeing her writing a note to her best friend, and she signed it "BF4ever." How many bff's have you had over the course of your life? How many of them are still around? I know sometimes families move to another city or school district, resulting in the demise of some close friendships, but what about the other ones? Can you think of some bff's you've had and you really can't give a good explanation as to what happened to them? I can think of several, and all I can say is we apparently just drifted apart. I wonder if that other person sort of lost interest in me, or did I lose interest in that other person? As I think back and wonder about that, I hope that loss of interest was mutual, because I'd sure hate to know that there were some hurt feelings over the ordeal, and I was not even engaged enough to notice.

In my line of work, there's one scenario I've seen played out time and time again: I'll see a new store opening up, usually a children's clothing store or gift shop, and when I meet the owners, I discover that they are lifelong friends. Although I don't say it out loud, I usually think, "Well, that's about to end," and that's usually exactly what happens....those two best friends end up becoming bitter enemies. But I believe that in the majority of situations, friendships terminate simply because the two parties just drift apart, with no real explanation as to the reason. At this moment I'm thinking of a couple who used to be extremely close to Angie and me, but over time, we drifted apart....until we finally just stopped communicating. We had not seen them in a few years until we saw them one night at a wedding reception. It was great to see them again, and we sat at the table with them so we could get caught up on what had been happening in their lives. What we discovered, however, was that over time our lives and our interests had gone opposite directions, and there really wasn't that much to talk about. We went home that night feeling a twinge of sadness over how things had turned out.

As you're reading this message, you are probably thinking back on some of your old "best friend" relationships and trying to recall what caused them to end. Maybe it's just human nature. That causes me to think about the people in my life right now that I consider my close friends, or "good buddies." At this point, it's hard for me to visualize a time in my future when every one of these relationships will no longer exist, but reality tells me that some of them will eventually end. That makes me sad. I wonder who it will be. I sure hope it's not you!

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment