Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXC

I guess you'd have to be one of us to understand us. It's really not possible to comprehend this passion unless you have once experienced it for yourself. Could it actually be an addiction? Hmmmm....Well, I don't know if I would take it that far, but I will admit that it does have an addictive nature. Once it gets a hold on you, you're never quite able to break free, and like an addiction, it will cause you to spend large amounts of time and money just to satisfy the craving, the yearning. However, it is not something that we try to hide....we'll talk about it for hours to anyone and everyone who is willing to listen, although the average person, the layman, will wonder what can there be to talk about. Just hang around us for a few minutes and you'll begin to understand. As a matter of fact, if you've read my blog very many times, you probably already know where I'm going with this. We are runners.

Your next question may be, "Other than running apparel and shoes, what can there be about this "condition" that would cost so much money?" For the answer to that question, just try following me around today, but if that's what you want to do, you'd better hurry up and get moving, because that's what I'm about to do...get moving. And if everything goes according to plan, when I go to bed tonight, I'll be a long way from where I am right now. That's why I'm in such a hurry to get this message posted....I've got "miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." In just a little while, Angie and I, along with eight good friends (10 total), will be headed to the airport. Our first stop will be Atlanta, where we will board a fight bound for New York; but we won't be staying there long either. There in New York, we will board another flight that will take us to our final destination....Portland, Maine. And yes, we're going there to run.

Tomorrow promises to be a fairly easy day. We'll sleep late in the morning. At least we call it "sleeping late." But what can you expect for a group of people who are accustomed to rising at 4:15 AM...to run? After a leisurely breakfast, we will head to the expo for a little while to pick up our race packets and see if we can find some good deals on some running gear, have lunch, and then maybe do a little bit of sight seeing, before having dinner and returning to the hotel so we can get to bed early, although we're usually so keyed up the night before the big day that we don't sleep well. Sunday morning, we'll be up very early, making all the last minute preparations for the big race, because, in case you're not aware, planning a 26.2 mile run requires a lot of preparation. Then, before 6:30, we'll be on our way toward the starting line. And I think I know what the next question will be, "What will you do after you finish running?" What would you do if you had just run 26.2 miles? Well, one thing we WILL NOT be doing is going dancing....or running. I predict we'll go back to the hotel to crash for a little while, and then head out to find some fresh Maine lobster. We will feel like we deserve it. Monday will be a day of fun, before our trip home Tuesday.

Yes, I know we could take that trip without the running part, but let me repeat the statement I made in the beginning: In order to understand us, you have to be one of us. And there's one more thing--we're a group of close friends, but it was running that brought us together, and running is what keeps us together. We can't imagine taking a trip like this without going for a run. That's what we do. That's who we are. Some may call it an addiction, but I choose to go back to the first term I used: a passion. Whatever it is, may I never lose it!

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment