Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCLXXIX

Okay, so this may be a biased opinion, but Lake, my little grandson, made a statement that I thought was a pretty good observation for a five year old. He said, "I wish I was an adult. All kids want to be adults and all adults want to be kids." Of course I could've explained to him that adults have now been both and they've figured out that being a kid is better, but I don't think he would've agreed at that point. But doesn't that make sense? People in general never seem to be quite satisfied with where they are at any given point in life, and I guess I'm the same way. I'm definitely not the first person to ever say this, but I would like to take the wisdom I've acquired in the last sixty years and transfer it to a twenty-four year old body. But just like everyone else, I have to make do with what I am right now.

That leads me to ask this question, "Is there a perfect age?" If it was possible for kids to move up to the age they really want to be, and older people could move down to the age they prefer, where would they settle? It stands to reason that if children don't feel that they're old enough, and adults feel that they're too old, there must me an age somewhere in the middle where everyone would be happy. I think I know where the answer lies, but I haven't figured out a method of acquiring that knowledge. So I'll present it to you today, and see if you can help me come up with an answer.

In my few short years on this earth, I've attended funerals for two year olds and ninety-five year olds, and everywhere in between....people who get to experience Heaven before I do. I have, however, read considerably about Heaven, and one thing I've learned is that people who are there will never grow old, although the majority of the people who go there are old before they go. But what about when they get there? The way I see it, they won't be old any more. That leads me to believe that everyone in Heaven is the same age. So now, your homework assignment for today is to devise a formula that can be used to calculate the age of everyone in Heaven. When we come up with that answer, we'll know what the perfect age is. Hint: Keep in mind that there's a possibility that in Heaven, there may be no such thing as age.

If there is a perfect age for us earthlings, how long does it last? Does it last an entire year? Or would it only last for a minute? Whatever the answer, there's not much we can do about it, because every one of us gets a little older with each passing second, whether we want to or not. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the perfect age for Lake at this point in his life is five. The age I am now is just right for me. Tomorrow I need to be one day older. That will be perfect.

Preston

1 comment: