Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXL


Some days I just feel like being lazy. After all, when God created us, he provided us with an example of how we're suppose to carry out our week when he rested on the seventh day, and who am I to try to improve on God's plan. I know there are some people who like to take this "rest day thing" to extremes by making several days out of every week into rest days, but I've been giving it some thought lately and I've come to the conclusion that that's not such a good idea either. There again, God worked six days and rested just one, and then instructed us to do the same.

Just a couple weeks ago I was working a trade show in Jackson, MS, and the first day of the show was extremely slow, so I basically sat in my booth that entire day with practically nothing to do. The next day was the exact opposite...I barely had time to even go to the restroom. Here's the part that puzzles me: On that first day when I had nothing to do, when I got to my hotel room that night, I was totally exhausted; but on the second night after a very busy day, I felt more refreshed than I had the night before. Why is that? I don't have a definite answer, but, like I said, I've been thinking about it and I do have some possible theories. Maybe on that first day I was stressing because I knew I needed to be busy and business just wasn't coming. Another theory could be that there is a calming effect on a person when he knows that he is actually getting some things accomplished. Or maybe it's a combination of the two. Whatever the truth is, I'll take a busy day any time over a slow day.

One other theory I've come up with is that our bodies and our minds may get into a slothful mode, making us not want to get out of our restful state, therefore the tired feeling at the end of the day. And then the opposite could be true when we're in a productive mode, making us have the desire to keep producing. I'm obviously not an expert on the human mind or body, so really all I'm doing now is just surmising as to what causes us to react to certain situations the way we do. I guess that just brings us back to the first paragraph...we're better off if we follow the example and instructions that God provided for us.

My rest day is Sunday. First I get up and head to Sunday School and Morning Worship, which is actually a form of rest in itself, and it takes up my entire morning. After that, we have a nice meal, and then we crash for the rest of the day. We'll take a short nap, and then it's time for relaxing with the family. I love my Sundays. Thank you Lord for showing us how to do it. There's no telling what we would have come up with if we would have had to figure it out on our own.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment