Friday, July 23, 2010

Thinking Out Loud, Volume CCXXVIII

If the plane I'm on goes down, I will do everything I can to save my baby, even if it means that I have to lose my life in the process. I don't think any parent or grandparent reading this would feel otherwise. As a matter of fact, if I have my kids on the flight with me, I will more than likely be much more attentive as the flight attendant goes through her little demonstration of what to do in case of an emergency, but as I listen to her presentation, I am going to hear some instructions that I think would go against the natural tendency of any parent. She will be saying something like, "In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will automatically drop down from over your head. If you are traveling with a small child, you should put your mask on first, and then put the mask on the child." Now I will admit here that the video that they show on some planes is a little bit ridiculous when you see a calm, smiling mother putting on her mask, and then putting the mask on a calm, smiling child. In a real life situation, I cannot imagine calmness being on display anywhere on that entire plane. But I can also visualize many parents making sure their kids are wearing their masks before they even attempt to put theirs on. It's that natural parental instinct that we all have of protecting the lives of our kids before even considering our own safety. They give us those instructions for a reason, and when you stop to think about it, wouldn't your child have a much better chance of survival if you are here to take care of him?

For one thing, I think the child would be more willing to wear a mask if they saw Mom or Dad wearing one. A child may hear what you tell him to do, but he will be much more likely to do what he sees you doing than what he hears you saying. Sometimes we place ourselves into the "teach mode" as we give instructions to our children on how they should live their lives, but whether we realize it or not, we are teaching all the time, even when the "teach mode" is turned off. If I want my kids to refrain from using tobacco and alcohol, just telling them will not get the job done...I must also show them. If I want my kids to go to church, I can't send them...I have to go with them. If I want my son to love and respect his wife, he has to see me doing the same thing. If a child grows up in an environment where there is constant fighting and bickering, there are overwhelming odds that his household will be the same when he becomes an adult.

If I ever find myself in the unfortunate situation that it's either my life or the life of my child, I will, without hesitation, sacrifice my own. However, I must never forget that my child's chances are much better when I'm there with him, so please don't be critical of me when you see me obeying the instructions and putting my mask on first. If I want my child to be saved, I must first save myself.

Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment